Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Familiar Becoming Unfamiliar

"Our perennial [enduring] spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again."  --G.K. Chesterton


     Routine and ordinary.  The two words I could use to describe today.  Monday...house work, paying bills, running errands, picking up from school, groceries, washing clothes...the list goes on and on.  Sometimes, it is harder to see God in routine and ordinary days than at any other time.  We move by rote.  Our senses numbed, we've done it a million times.  Where is God on these days?  Everywhere.  
     I thought of the above quote today as I processed all of this.  Last Fall, I read a book called 1000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp. A book about gratitude.  A book that helped to spark this revolution in me.  This quote came from her book...inspiration on a day like today (a lasting gift).  Everyday could be familiar, but it won't be.  My task has changed from mindlessly enduring chores and routines to opening my eyes and seeing.  Making things familiar become unfamiliar. I tried to see everything today like I was seeing it for the first time.  Everything, a new gift.  
     I heard it in Jess' laugh...it comes from a place deep inside of her, a pure and joyful place.  I saw it in Reagan's smiling eyes, there is something about that girl's eyes that pulls me into a trance (remembering her eyes were awake and alert the moment she entered this world).  Listening to my husband speak and realizing that I instinctively smile when he calls.  Seeing people hold doors, caring for one another.  Overhearing a conversation between a dad and his preteen daughter.  Wondering if he recognized her adoration for him as she laughed at all of the silly things he said.  Her pride, her joy, her dad being there with her, interested in just her...remembering that a girl's first love is her dad.  All reminders of this straight path that I am on.  All reminders that God is in every one of these moments...everywhere.  
     One moment I had to capture because it overwhelmed my senses.  Salmon.  Dinner.  I cook this meal regularly...very familiar.  Yet, tonight, it became unfamiliar, it became beautiful.  Realizing that God created this fish.  Its color is one of my favorite colors (second only to chartreuse).  Thinking how packed full of nutrients it is.  Smelling its sweet aroma as it sizzled in olive oil and Greek seasoning.  Being thankful that it would fill our tummies and as we slept nourish our bodies and minds.  What a gift provided by God...His creation, His sustenance.  One I could see, taste, hear, and smell.  Always God giving, us receiving.  More of His love, more of Him in every good thing!  


No more ordinary days, just unfamiliar ones.  

 I buy the frozen Sockeye Salmon at Publix.  I read that you should always eat wild Salmon and never farm raised (in farm raised you lose a lot of the nutrients).  Two filets (one bag) is more than enough for the four of us.
I saute it in olive oil and sprinkle it with Greek seasoning.  I am leery of fish so I tend to make mine a little crispy ;)  I buy a pre-made greens, cranberry and walnut salad from Publix.  A beautiful (and delicious) meal in about 20 minutes (this one containing God's own handiwork ;)

     The girls even enjoy "pink fish."  For them, I steam some red potatoes in the microwave and mash with milk, butter, garlic, shredded cheese, and salt.  Tonight I had edamame in the freezer but any veggie will work. A side of ranch and ketchup and their meal is complete.

"The way to life--to God--is vigorous and requires total attention."
Matthew 7:14 (The Message) 

No comments:

Post a Comment